Charlie is a partner in the firm’s corporate/commercial and securities law groups and has significant experience in a wide range of corporate and securities transactions with a particular emphasis on public and private mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions.
Charlie regularly acts as counsel to issuers and underwriters on a wide variety of matters, including domestic and cross-border acquisitions of public and private companies, public offerings and private placements, compliance with securities legislation and other regulatory requirements. He regularly advises issuers, boards of directors, special committees and other transaction participants on the structuring of a wide range of M&A and corporate finance transactions, compliance with fiduciary duties and applicable law and other governance matters.
Representative mandates include acting for:
- Biox Corporation (TSX:BX) in its going private transaction by way of plan of arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act and acquisition by 10293547 Canada Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of CFFI Ventures Inc.;
- Biox Corporation (TSX: BX) in its cross-border joint venture acquisition of a biodiesel facility in Houston, related secured debt financing and its acquisition of a biodiesel facility in Sombra, Ontario;
- The underwriters on all Canopy Growth Corporation’s financings, including its recent $200 million bought deal financing;
- Almonty Industries Inc. (TSXV: AII) in its acquisition of Woulfe Mining Corp. and related financing;
- Axiom Global Inc. in its acquisition of the general counsel business of Cognition LLP;
- Trade Winds Ventures Inc. (TSXV: TWD) in its acquisition by Detour Gold Corporation (TSX: DGC);and
- William Fresh Café in their acquisition by Druxy’s Famous Deli.
Charlie served on the Ontario Securities Commission's Small and Medium Enterprises Committee from 2014 to 2015 and from 2013 to 2015 was a guest lecturer at the U of T Rotman School of Business MBA class on Mergers and Acquisitions, Select Legal issues for Canadian Private and Public Acquisitions.
A member of the firm’s M&A Practice Group, Professional Standards and Technology Committees, he participates in a number of practice initiatives at the firm, including continuing legal education and student and lawyer recruitment.