LL.B., University of Victoria, 2003
B.A., University of Western Ontario, 1999
Canadian Bar Association, Law Society of Ontario, Ontario Bar Association
Called to the Ontario Bar 2004
Daniel Shapira is head of the Commercial Real Estate Law Group. Daniel's practice involves property development, sales, acquisitions, joint ventures, commercial leasing and financing transactions, including land development and construction loans, acquisition facilities and operating facilities. He also practises in the Debt Products Group and acts on a wide array of real estate capital markets transactions.
Some of the recent projects in which Daniel has had considerable involvement include:
- The acquisition by Summit Industrial Income REIT (formerly Proventure Income Fund) of a portfolio of four industrial properties for an aggregate purchase price of $50.1 million.
- The sale by Menkes/AEW Consilium Partnership of properties consisting of three office towers known as Consilium Place and surrounding development lands, located in Scarborough, Ontario to companies affiliated with Kevric Real Estate Corporation Inc. for $199 million.
- A number of acquisitions, dispositions, financings and joint ventures by Whiterock REIT in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island with an aggregate purchase price of the acquisitions of well over $1 billion.
- CPP’s $222 million acquisition of additional interests in a portfolio of 7 shopping centres from Osmington Inc.
- The sale of an 11 property portfolio by H&R REIT to RioCan REIT and Kimco Realty Corporation on a 50/50 basis through the creation of a second joint venture partnership, RioKim II for an aggregate purchase price of $156 million.
Daniel also advises underwriters on a variety of capital market transactions involving numerous real estate investment trusts.
Daniel is recognized as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch" in the area of Property Development in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2018. He was also honoured with a 2017 Lexpert Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Prior to joining Wildeboer Dellelce LLP, Daniel practised commercial real estate at Goodmans LLP for eight years.
Since 2004, Daniel has been a governor of Mount Sinai Hospital.