LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2007
B.A. (Hons with High Distinction), University of Toronto, 2004
Canadian Tax Foundation, International Fiscal Association, Law Society of Upper Canada
Called to the Ontario Bar 2008
John is a partner practising in Wildeboer Dellelce’s Tax Group. John’s practice focuses on all areas of corporate tax, including M&A, public and private financings, reorganizations, structured finance and private equity.
John is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and the International Fiscal Association where he is currently the Secretary of the Young IFA Network Committee. In addition, John is the Canadian Tax National Reporter for the International Bar Association and a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation.
Publications & Conferences
- Speaker, 20th Taxation of Corporate Reorganization hosted by Federated Press on January 26, 2016. Co-presented on session titled "Exchangeable Share Transactions".
- Speaker, Pension Fund Investment Tax Roundtable on May 26, 2015. Presented on topic titled "Section 100 Considerations".
- Speaker, Tax Executives Institute’s "M&A Day", February 17, 2015. Co-presented on a number of topics including "Tax Issues in Selling to Tax-Exempts" and "Structuring Earn-out Transactions".
- Speaker, 19th Taxation of Corporate Reorganization hosted by Federated Press on January 20, 2015. Co-presented on session titled "Exchangeable Share Transactions".
- Speaker, Ontario Bar Association’s "Critical Developments in International Tax Law", April 17, 2014. Presented on the session titled "Treaty shopping and the 2014 Federal Budget: What should you and your clients expect from the federal government in terms of measures restricting treaty shopping?"
- Speaker, Canadian Tax Foundation's 65th Annual Tax Conference, November 24-26, 2013. Co-presented at workshop titled "Statutory Interpretation".
- Speaker, Young IFA Network webinar, April 4, 2013. Co-presented on topic titled "Thin Capitalization: Present, Past and Future".
- Speaker, Acumen Taxation of Corporate Finance and Financial Structures Conference, June 5-6, 2012. Co-presented at the session, titled Inbound Financing and Investments.
While at his former firm, John was involved in the following transactions:
- Centric Health Corporation in its divestment of its physiotherapy, rehabilitation and medical assessment businesses for C$245M plus up to C$5M in contingent consideration to Audax Private Equity, a member of the Audax Group.
- Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. in its sale of Allstream to Zayo Group Holdings Inc., a leading U.S. provider of communication infrastructure, in an all cash transaction for C$465M.
- Shopify, in its C$100M inter-listed (TSX & NYSE) dual class initial public offering.
- Centerra Gold Inc. in its joint venture arrangement with Premier Gold Mines Limited for the joint exploration and development of Premier’s Trans-Canada Property in Northern Ontario.
- Centric Health Corporation in connection with its acquisition of the Care Plus Group, a leading Alberta-based specialty pharmacy business operating under the Care Plus, Pharmacare and Lidia’s Pharmacy brands, for a maximum aggregate purchase price of approximately C$48.5M payable in cash and shares and subject to the achievement of certain post-closing financial targets.