We provide advice to both public and private clients in all sectors of the economy who develop, distribute, use or acquire technology. This includes financial service institutions, software developers and vendors, hardware and service providers, internet content companies, internet service providers, multi-media and animation creators, technology investors, technology funds, telecommunications undertakings, e-commerce companies, new age technology companies and start-ups.
Our services include:
- Licences, contracts, technology transfers and other agreements related to software, hardware and information systems generally
- Technology aspects of commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, distribution agreements, joint ventures, strategic alliances
- Financing of new ventures; seed, A and B round, private placement and going public transactions
- Internet and e-business advice, from software development to disclaimers to cross jurisdictional matters
- Employment agreements, structure of option plans to protect ownership of technology
- Dispute resolution related to use or ownership of technology
- New legal developments, such as the new government initiatives in the area of privacy of personal information
The firm has acted for hundreds of technology clients since its inception, from start-ups to industry giants (Research in Motion, Dalsa, Opentext, Desire2Learn). We understand technology and we understand the business of technology. We get that the needs of this industry are often like none other; high-energy and fast-moving with unique underlying risks and unlimited opportunities.
For more information on how we can assist you with your Technology needs or to speak with us regarding any of your business law needs, please contact:
Rory Cattanach by email or call 416 361 4766.