Michael practises primarily in the areas of securities, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and corporate/commercial law. He has acted for clients in connection with a variety of matters, including public and private debt and equity financings, going public transactions, public take-overs and going private transactions, equity and debt restructurings and reorganizations, commercial agreements, public and private company asset and share acquisitions and dispositions, start-up advice, compliance with securities laws and continuous disclosure obligations, and corporate governance matters.
Michael advises clients in a diverse range of industries, including technology, private equity, cannabis, mining, esports, Blockchain technology, financial services and entertainment.
Firm mandates that Michael has been involved with include:
- Difference Capital in its $110 million acquisition of Mogo
- The Special Committee of Starlight Multi-Family (No. 5) Core Fund in the $1.4 billion acquisition of Starlight by Tricon Capital Group
- Real Matters Inc. in its IPO valued at $1.13 Billion
- Merger of Tokyo Smoke and DOJA Cannabis to form HIKU Brands Company Ltd. and related go public financing
- BIOX in its cross-border joint venture acquisition with World Energy of a 90 million USG Biodiesel facility in Houston
- SunOpta in its US$330 million debt facility and related US$444 million acquisition
- Cineplex Entertainment’s purchase of WorldGaming’s operating business
Michael joined the firm as a summer student in 2010 and completed his articles with the firm in 2012. Michael received his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School. During law school, Michael attended the Tulane University Summer Abroad Program, where he studied International Business and Financial Services Law at Queen Mary College School of Law in London, England, and worked as a research assistant in the area of commercial law, with specific regard to the updating of a text on the law of electronic funds transfers as well as the writing of a monograph on the legal history of the payment order.
He is past Co-Chair of the BBBST Young Leaders committee, a fundraising arm of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto.