With extensive experience advising public and private issuers, Wildeboer Dellelce has a broad practice in the area of corporate governance.
Our expertise covers a wide range of corporate governance related matters, including continuous disclosure practices, board and board committee mandates and assessments, director and officer indemnification requirements, by-law review and amendment, public issuer certification requirements, takeover bid preparedness plans, special committees and compensation considerations for directors and officers, to name a few.
Our corporate governance practice is supplemented by the firm’s expertise in mergers and acquisitions and investor activism for private and public issuers. We have years of experience in tying these practice areas together in order to provide comprehensive advice for our clients.
We take a long-term approach to our mandates, from the perspective of helping our clients to not only establish compliance competency but to be recognized by the corporate community as leaders in the area of governance.
Wildeboer Dellelce has a diverse and dedicated practice in the area of investor activism. We represent investors based in Canada and the U.S. in both friendly and contested situations, as well as contending with activist investors.
Our experience covers a broad spectrum of public issuer situations, including requisitions, proposals, contested director elections and proxy contests, acting for special committees tasked with managing activist situations, settlement agreements and advising clients at contested meetings, as well as analyzing atypical situations and determining the applicable legal solutions. We have advised in situations that play out in public forums and have had success in managing situations that result in negotiated settlements.
Our expertise extends to contested public transaction regulatory compliance, with a particular expertise related to regulated financial institutions. We have experience in situations involving both regulatory and court supervision.
We also have years of experience advising clients in a variety of private company disputes.
- Representing Phil Mulacek and other shareholders of InterOil Corporation in their requisition of a special meeting of the shareholders of InterOIl and subsequent nomination of an alternative slate of directors for InterOil.
- Representing the special committee of Alarmforce Industries Inc. in connection with the acquisition of AlarmForce by BCE Inc.
- Representing the special committee of the board of directors of Bison Gold in connection with the acquisition of Bison Gold Resources Inc. by Klondex Mines Ltd.
- Representing Eugene Melnyk in his requisition of a special meeting of the shareholders of Biovail Corporation.
- Representing major shareholders of Unique Broadband Systems, Inc., in its various contested actions.
- Representing Martinrea International Inc. in connection with an alternative slate of directors proposed for election by dissident shareholders.
- Representing the chairman of the requisitioned special meeting called by dissident shareholders of Aberdeen International Inc.
For more information on our Corporate Governance and Investor Activism practice area, please contact any of the Corporate Governance Contacts listed, or call us at 1 866 WILDLAW (945 3529).