Automotive Industry Expertise
Lawyers across the firm’s corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate, debt products, tax and corporate and commercial practices have extensive experience in the automotive sector.
We act for companies and individuals across the sector including dealers, owners, manufacturers and lenders. We provide a broad range of services and advice on business law issues ranging from sophisticated tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate transactions, commercial leasing and financings to general commercial agreements, including supply and manufacturing agreements. We also leverage our experience with franchises and dealer relationships.
Selected Automotive Industry Mandates:
- Acted for the shareholders of Mierins Automotive Group on the sale of business to Alpha Auto Group. The Mierins Automotive Group operates as a dealership holding company, partnered with 9 OEM brands. Founded in 1957, it operates in the Ottawa, Kingston and Brockville municipalities. Alpha Auto Group is a fast growing and highly acquisitive auto dealer group based in Toronto, Ontario focused on North American dealerships. This transaction comprised the en bloc sale of 10 dealership locations, making it one of the largest sales of an auto dealership group in Canada to date.
- Represented Capital Automotive Real Estate Services, Inc. (CARS), a U.S. based real estate investment firm on the acquisition and leaseback of three automotive dealership properties in British Columbia and Manitoba and the sale of an automotive dealership property to the tenant in Ontario.
- Act for Martinrea International Inc., Tier 1 auto supplier, on a range of matters including Canadian and international acquisitions, commercial real estate matters, commercial contracts and corporate finance and securities matters.
- Represented Dixie Electric Ltd. in its acquisition by Motorcar Parts of America Inc. (NASDAQ:MPAA), a remanufacturer, manufacturer and distributor of automotive aftermarket parts. Dixie Electric, located in Concord, Ontario, is a manufacturer and remanufacturer of alternators and starters for automotive, medium and heavy truck, industrial, farm and marine applications.
- Advised Town+Country BMW & MINI Markham on its sale to Pfaff Automotive Partners.
- Acted for Palladino Auto Group, based in Sudbury, Ontario, on general commercial agreements, including partner platform agreements.
- Acted for AutoPlanet Group Inc. in its acquisition of 12 car dealerships.
For more information on how we can assist you in this sector or to speak with us regarding any of your business law needs, please contact:
Julie Anderson call 416 847 6914
Jonathan Born call 416 361 6211
Rory Cattanach call 416 361 4766
Perry Dellelce call 416 361 3121
Nick Gray call 416 847 6920
Katy Pitch call 416 361 4787
Dan Shapira call 416 847 6910
Rob Wortzman call 416 361 2930