Entertainment, Media & Sports
We leverage our top-ranked expertise, in-depth industry knowledge and extensive network in effectively helping clients navigate the complex legal and business issues within Entertainment, Media & Sports.
We have acted for major players in the entertainment, media, and sports industries, delivering sophisticated commercial advice across the spectrum of transactions in these ever-evolving industries. Along the way, we have developed extensive industry expertise and strong relationships in these spaces.
Our lawyers practising in Entertainment, Media & Sports leverage their top-ranked expertise, in-depth industry knowledge and extensive network in effectively helping clients navigate the complex legal and business issues that inevitably arise when operating in these industries.
We provide services in the following areas:
• Film, television, commercial, digital media production: as production counsel, supporting the copyright and contract legal needs of productions through rights acquisition, development, casting, pre-production, production, post-production, licensing and distribution phases. Such support includes acquisition of underlying rights, negotiation of talent and key creative deals, errors and omissions insurance review, product placement agreements, and licensing and distribution agreements.
• Supporting the operational legal needs of entertainment companies such as purchase, sale and licensing of intellectual property, financing, employment and independent contractor agreements and disputes, non-disclosure agreements, and various contractual disputes.
• Production financing: representing lenders and borrowers in secured and unsecured lending transactions; representing equity investors and producers in private equity financing transactions.
• Music: representing music artists and producers in transactions with record labels; representing music artists and production companies in master and synchronization licenses and composer agreements.
• Celebrity sponsorship: advising on and representing celebrities and companies in various sponsorship transactions.
• Intellectual property: advising on and representing artists and content creators in various intellectual property transactions and disputes, including copyright and trademark issues.
• Corporate: advising on and representing companies and individuals in the entertainment and hospitality industry in respect of the formation and reorganization of corporations, shareholder agreements and disputes, purchase and sale of shares, and purchase and sale of assets.
• Hospitality and live entertainment: supporting the legal needs of hospitality and live entertainment companies.
Partnership with WD Sports & Entertainment Inc.
Wildeboer Dellelce LLP’s affiliation with WD Sports & Entertainment Inc., a talent agency representing athletes, broadcasters, and celebrities in connection with talent management, endorsements, sponsorships and contract negotiations, is unique in the Canadian landscape.
WD Sports & Entertainment Inc. provides its clients with a full suite of professional and legal services and ever-expanding access to Wildeboer Dellelce LLP’s industry expertise, network and professional relationships across North America.